Internship Oceans of Energy: Environmental team (Governance & Permitting)
The ocean is a boundless playground of possibilities, just waiting to be explored.
Environmental Research at Oceans of Energy
Oceans of Energy is a young, passionate and fast-growing company. We installed the world’s first offshore solar farm in 2019 and have since been operating it in severe offshore conditions. We recognize the significance of conducting environmental research and its vital role in our mission to deliver abundant clean energy worldwide, while preserving the natural world. That’s why we actively invest in environmental and ocean research. We are dedicated to minimizing any negative impact and maximizing the positive, aiming to create eco-synergies that not only benefit local ecosystems but also the communities that rely on them. for September we have 3 internship openings in our environmental team. Apply now, and together we dive deeper into the world of offshore solar and explore the harmonious relationship between nature and clean energy.
Governance and permitting internship
Your role will involve making a deep dive into the structures and processes that drive the decision making in our governance system. We want to efficiently and rapidly rollout offshore solar while obeying to existing (or new to come) laws and regulations on the North Sea. You will make an inventory of existing laws and regulations for offshore solar and anticipate what obstacles Oceans of Energy will have to overcome in terms of governance and acceptance for large scale roll-out. Possibly, you will also look at European legislation and specific EU challenges. Most importantly, you will actively be involved in our permitting activities, which will include interaction with the authorities (RWS, ministries), research specific topics needed for our Environmental Impact Assessment and help write the documentation needed for specific permit applications.
You will also have the opportunity to actively contribute to our Ecological Field Research team, venturing offshore to assist in our ongoing environmental monitoring programs. By becoming a member of this team, you will be at the forefront of firsthand environmental research, making a tangible difference and gaining invaluable experience.
About Oceans of Energy
Oceans of Energy is a young, passionate and fast-growing company. We installed the world’s first offshore solar farm in 2019 and have since been operating it in severe offshore conditions. It is our aim to enable the world to generate clean energy from the abundance of space at sea instead of those scarce locations on land.
Offshore solar is advancing rapidly, as of it’s key features that can enhance offshore wind farms performances. It is our vision to integrate the offshore solar farms within the offshore wind farms to reduce spatial impacts of renewables, and to increase the utilization of the offshore wind infrastructure. Offshore solar can lead to 5x as much energy per km2 of offshore energy farms and we are now seeing first developments in practice that enable +20 – to – +40% more energy in NL Dutch wind farms.
Our modular offshore solar farm has been operational at sea for four years and as we are extending it, we are monitoring it extensively. Meanwhile, we are conducting ecological research to assess the impact, both negative and positive, on nature and marine life.
Why you want to work at Oceans of Energy
- You will work together with many very talented colleagues, all with a lot of passion for the same mission.
- You will receive a laptop from Oceans of Energy to work on.
- We believe that Learning is Key. This means that there are plenty of chances for you to learn and grow at our scale-up.
- We also often arrange (voluntary) extra curriculum events, such as sailing events, campsites, BBQ’s, Xmas party and of course Friday afternoon drinks.
- You are enrolled in a master’s program Law, Environmental law, or related fields of a well-regarded Dutch University
- You have excellent (English and Dutch) writing skills
- You are creative, You like thinking out-of-the-box.
- You have the Startup mentality: enthusiastic, independent, and getting things done with simple means.
- You are able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- You are aGood communicator and have experience in working together with different (engineering) disciplines
- You live close to our office (area of Leiden/Den Haag/Haarlem) and available min. 4 months